Ask Bill your personal finance question

Warrant-EASE Refund

I bought a Warrant-EASE extended warranty and the company has ceased operations. Can I get a partial refund from the dealer?

In July 208 I bought a 2007 Mitsubishi Gallant, and also purchased the additional warranty package for $1,599. Recently I discovered that the warranty business Warrant-EASE went out of business. I discovered this simply because I work at the bank that financed my car and not through the car dealer themselves. Am I entitled to a partial refund from the car dealer that I purchased the car from since that is where I bought the warranty package?

Read full question
Bill's Answer
(4 Votes) | Find Learn Save

I cannot verify that Warrant-EASE has ceased operations. However, calling the telephone numbers listed for the company results in a "the number you have reached is no longer in service" announcement. This is not a good sign.

Assuming that Warrant-EASE has ceased operations and declared bankruptcy, you have one recourse and that is to find the bankruptcy trustee who is handling the case and file a claim. Your claim would be unsecured, and would stand behind secured creditors. It is unlikely that you and fellow consumers would see any reimbursement from such a claim.

Regarding your question about a refund from the dealer, I do not see a claim there if the dealer was acting as an agent for Warrant-EASE. Review your contract to see the structure of the agreement with Warrant-EASE and the dealership. As a practical matter, it is likely that the dealership was left holding the bag on repairs it made under warranty and that Warrant-EASE failed to pay when it ceased operations.

I hope this information helps you make better money decisions.



(4 Votes)

People also like to Read

Mark Cappel

Find insurance articles for health, home, auto, and more at Get all of your insurance information today. ...


Learn what factors you need to consider when purchasing homeowners insurance. ...


Car accident 101. Educate yourself on what you need to do if you end up in a car accident. ...

Daniel Cohen

Free advice on life insurance, disability insurance, and when it makes sense to have these mortgage life insurance or mortgag...


1500 characters remaining