California Statute of Limitations for Contracts

What is California's statute of limitations for collecting a debt?

Read full question
Bill's Answer: Answered by Mark Cappel

Statutes of limitations for debt are often misunderstood. It is common for people to mix together the timelines for charging off a debt, the credit report reporting period for delinquent debt, and a state’s statute of limitations into one concept. My answer here will describe each of these, with a focus on California’s statute of limitations rules. Let us start with the statute of limitations.

Tip Struggling with debt? Contact one of’s pre-screened debt providers for a free, no-hassle debt relief quote.

Statute of Limitations For Debt in General

When a borrower fails to repay a debt, this is considered a breach of contract. A contract can be written or spoken. A breach of contract may give the harmed party a cause of action, which is a legal reason to file a lawsuit against the other party.

A statute of limitations for contract breach is, at its heart, a state's policy decision. It is an attempt by the state legislature to set the amount of time people and organizations in that state have to use the courts to resolve contract breaches. Some legislatures like Ohio set long statutes of limitations, and others like California, set short limits.

A statute of limitations for debt is an affirmative defense a defendant can use if the time for filing an action (a lawsuit) has exceeded what the state allows. In all but a few states, the passing of a statute of limitations does not prevent a plaintiff (a collection agent or original creditor) from filing an action. If the statute of limitations has passed, the defendant (the debtor or consumer) must raise this defense before the conclusion of the trial. The court will dismiss the case if it accepts the statute of limitations defense.

A statute of limitations for debt does not:

  • Prevent the filing of a lawsuit (in most states)
  • Set how long a debt can appear on a credit report
  • Allow you to ignore a court’s summons
  • Bar collection agents from attempting to collect the debt (except in Wisconsin and Mississippi)

If you determine your state’s statute of limitations for breach of contract has passed, the likelihood of the creditor attempting to file an action to enforce the debt is low. A creditor filing an action indicates either he or she believes the statute of limitations has not expired, or he or she believes the defendant will not raise this defense.

Fact Wisconsin and Mississippi outlaw lawsuits against consumers in cases where those state statutes of limitation have passed. Wisconsin and Mississippi are the only exceptions to the “lawsuits are allowed for original creditors even if the statute of limitations expired” rule.

California Statute of Limitation for a Contract

According to California Code of Civil Procedure § 337(1), the statute of limitations for a written contract is four years. Under § 339(1), the limit for an oral contract is two years. See the resource Collection Laws and the Statute of Limitations for the rules in other states. See also How to Tell Which Statute of Limitations Applies to Your Situation.

The California statute of limitations does not apply to an original creditor or collection agent telephoning or sending letters in an attempt to collect a debt. Under California law, the expiration the statute of limitations clock does not mean an original creditor cannot file an action. (The opposite is true for collection agents.) The statute of limitations clock running out does not prevent original creditors or collection agents from calling or sending you letters to try to collect the debt. In California, the statute of limitations is a defense used in a trial only.

Wise Advice Collection agents violate the FDCPA if they file a debt collection lawsuit against a consumer after the statute of limitation expired (Kimber v. Federal Financial Corp. 668 F.Supp. 1480 (1987) and Basile v. Blatt, Hasenmiller, Liebsker & Moore LLC, 632 F. Supp. 2d 842, 845 (2009)). Unscrupulous collection agents sue in hopes the consumer will not know this rule.

California courts allow contracting parties to modify the length of the otherwise applicable California statute of limitations, whether the contract has extended or shortened the limitations period. Extending the length must take place at the time of contract, and cannot be done retroactively.

Clock Starting & Stopping

When does the clock on a statute of limitations for a contract begin to run? In earlier versions of this answer, my writing was unclear on this subject. Under California CCP § 312, “Civil actions, without exception, can only be commenced within the periods prescribed in this title, after the cause of action shall have accrued, unless where, in special cases, a different limitation is prescribed by statute.” What does this mean?

Courts interpret and refine vague statutes. A 1992 case, Spear v. Cal. State Automobile Ass’n, is a recent decision on this matter. The California Supreme Court decided, “A contract cause of action does not accrue until the contract has been breached.” In the 1996 case Angeles Chem. Co. v. Spencer & Jones, the same court decided, “The claim accrues when the plaintiff discovers, or could have discovered through reasonable diligence, the injury and its cause.”

These cases mean that in California, the clock starts when the moment the borrower defaults on their payments. If, for example, a payment is due on June 1 and it does not arrive by that date, the statute of limitations clock starts running on June 2. Similarly, if a payment of — for the sake of argument — $100 is due on July 1 and the borrower pays less than $100, the borrower is in breach of contract at that point.

Tolling & Statutes of Limitations

Tolling stops the statute of limitations clock. These events can toll a statute of limitations in California:

  • Defendant absent from the state (CCP § 351)
  • The plaintiff was a minor (CCP § 352(a); Family Code § 6500 and 7050(e)(4))
  • Plaintiff was mentally disabled or incompetent (CCP § 352(a))
  • Plaintiff was incarcerated in prison (CCP § 352.1(a))
  • The defendant has a restitution order in place (CCP § 352.5)
  • The plaintiff or defendant die (CCP § 366.1 and 366.2)
  • State Bar takes over the attorney’s law practice (CCP § 353.1 )
  • War prevents access to the court (CCP § 354)
  • Bankruptcy, injunction or statutory prohibition (CCP § 356)
  • Voluntary agreement between the parties (CCP § 360.5)
  • Defendant’s felony conviction (CCP § 340.3(a))
  • Military service (50 U.S.C. App. § 526)
  • Delayed discovery, when plaintiff suspects or should have suspected injury
  • Various equitable tolling circumstances, including impossibility due to circumstances, interference, fraud and so on

Consult with an attorney licensed to practice in California to discuss the specifics of your situation and to help you determine if tolling applies.

Good Idea Struggling with debt questions? Let the Debt Coach review your debts and give you your options to resolving these debts.

Credit Report, Charge-Off & Statute of Limitations

The amount of time that derogatory comment on an account in a credit report is set by federal law called the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The federal credit report rules and the California civil procedure rules regarding the statutes of limitations have only one tiny connection: The length of time a judgment may appear on a credit credit report is either 7 years or the life of the judgment, whichever is longer. A California judgment is valid for 10 years, and can be renewed. Therefore, a California judgment will appear on a person's credit report for 10 years.

See the resource Charge-Off & Credit Report to learn more about the relationship between statutes of limitations and credit reports.

Your Question

You mentioned you reside in California, your last payment was due in 2003, and you received a summons from a lawyer. You also mentioned copies of your credit reports. Be sure to check in with providers of debt consolidation in California such as this linked provider to get an evaluation.

Review your credit reports to see if the date of first delinquency is mentioned. If you stopped making payments and never restarted, this date of first delinquency is clue to the date of contract breach. Ignore the charge-off and first reported dates, as those are not significant for learning your date of breach. It is likely the statute of limitations has run its course, unless you fit into one of the tolling exceptions listed above. However, as we discuss above, a California plaintiff is not barred from filing an action if the statute of limitations has expired. Consult with a California lawyer who has civil litigation or consumer law experience to discuss how to file an answer that includes a motion for dismissal based on a statute of limitations defense.

For more information about negotiating with your creditors, visit our debt settlement information page.

For further information regarding options available to consumers struggling with debt, I invite you to visit the debt help resources page. I hope the information I have provided will help you Find. Learn. Save.



Rate this article
Not helpful

Comments (332)

Dan W.
Santa Clarita, CA  |  April 01, 2014
I'm writing to see what you recommend in this situation. I had a credit card that went to collections back in 2006 and I was in a position at that time where I started making full payments on the credit card but after a while, I ran into some major financial issues via a costly divorce and support payments. In 2009 I received help from an attorney to help with debt settlement and took care of all debt minus the credit card mentioned above. I still receive letters from "multiple" collection agencies regarding this one account and have supplied other collection agencies with my attorney's name, address, phone number and I'm wanting to know (1) Do I have to keep supplying this information (2) Isn't there some kind of time frame for collecting this debt (3) If I don't have the funds to pay this off even if they cut it down by 50%, what are my options. Bankruptcy is not an option primarily after addressing all the other debt settlement. Currently I'm faced with an outsourced industry, work is almost non-existent and I'm faced with transitioning into another industry. What that is, remains to be seen.
April 03, 2014
Am I correct in assuming the last payment on the account in question was in 2009 or before, and that you reside in California? If both of my assumptions are correct, then you're in for a game of Whack-A-Mole with collection agents.

In California, the statute of limitations that applies to delinquent credit card debt is 4 years. If the California statute of limitations applies to this account, and there's no tolling that applies, then the statute of limitations clock ran out on this account. It is possible for a collection agent to file a lawsuit on time-barred debt, but doing so violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Therefore, if you receive a notice of a lawsuit, consult with your lawyer immediately to file a motion to dismiss based on a statute of limitations defense, and a countersuit for the violation of the FDCPA.

What to do? Here's where you play Whack-A-Mole. Each time you receive a dunning letter from a new collection agent, send it a written cease communications notice. If a collection agent violates your cease communications demand, consult with your lawyer about filing a lawsuit for violating the FDCPA.

On to your questions:
  1. Collection agents are permitted to ask consumers in most states to pay time-barred debt. The exceptions are residents of Wisconsin and Mississippi. As mentioned, a collection agent filing a lawsuit on a time-barred debt violates the FDCPA
  2. See No. 1.
  3. For the reason mentioned above, you have no legal obligation to pay time-barred debt. Your collection account is, for all intents and purposes, worthless. You might want to consider paying the collection agent $10 to put this to rest, but I wouldn't spend more than that for time-barred debt.

Consult with your lawyer before signing any settlement agreement on time-barred debt, or, as mentioned, you receive notice of a lawsuit.

Marisa B.
Sacramento, CA  |  March 28, 2014
I recently began receiving notices and phone calls from a local County "revenue recovery" division. Basically, part of the court system in El Dorado County. They claim I still owe roughly $1000 from an unpaid traffic ticket from 2000. I believe I have paid this debt (to a debt collection agency that is no longer in business), but I cannot prove I have paid this since it's been 14 years and I don't keep payment records that far back. Does a SOL apply to debt you owe the court? Any other suggestions on how to resolve this? I have contacted the two collection agencies that they have used in the past but neither have any record of my file. Thanks for your help!
April 17, 2014
Whether a debt you allegedly owe a government entity is subject to a state statute of limitations is tricky to answer. If the debt is a result of a citation, such as a parking or traffic ticket, then there usually is no statute of limitations.
Tim K.
Torrance, CA  |  March 19, 2014
Our home foreclosed in late 2007 by the first mortgage. We had an equity line of credit on the home and last payment on the equity line was 8/2007. The credit union charged off the HELOC on January 31 2008. They served us in January 2013. We have a court date coming up next month -- April 2014. Is this past the statute of limitations?
March 19, 2014
Consult with a lawyer immediately about filing a motion to dismiss based on a statute of limitations defense. Take action — you may be able to defeat this lawsuit. Taking no action will result in your losing by default.
Steve P.
El Dorado Hills, CA  |  April 11, 2014
Hi Tim - I'm in a similar situation and would love to know where you stand on your court case. Did you or your attorney present the SOL defense. Thanks!
Susy S.
Fremont, CA  |  March 14, 2014
I opened a loan with Cash Call sometime in January 2007 under my married name. From what credit report says I defaulted on November 2007. Since then I have divorced and moved from city to city in California. Just a few days ago and today I got a call from a rather rude man stating that he would have no other choice to file a law suit against me for not calling the agency in regards to this debt. From what I have read and everyone's scenario. Do I fall under the SOL? My biggest worry is that they will garnish my wages. I am a single mother of 3 and my income is the only income coming into our household. Thank you for your help.
March 14, 2014
My answer assumes you resided in California continuously from January 2007 when you borrowed the money until today.

Take these three steps:
  1. Validate the debt. A debt that cannot be validated cannot be collected. Roughly half of all collection accounts cannot be validated.
  2. When you send the debt validation notice, include a cease communications notice.
  3. If you receive notice of a lawsuit, consult with a lawyer immediately, and discuss filing an answer that includes a statute of limitations defense.

Why bother with a debt validation notice? The older the debt, the less likely it is the collection agent can validate the debt. And, as mentioned, if a collection cannot validate the debt, its collection efforts must stop.

Why send a cease communications notice? To make this collection agent stop pestering you.

Why consult with a lawyer about a time-barred debt a collection agent has filed suit on? Two reasons. First, an effective statute of limitations defense will cause a judge to dismiss a lawsuit. Second, you may have the right to counter-sue for an Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation, and make the collection agent pay for its misunderstanding of the FDCPA.

X. Y.
San Francisco, CA  |  March 07, 2014
I reside in California and incurred medicals bills while in Nevada on a vacation that was not paid and turned to collections. Would the statute of limitations from Nevada or California apply? Meaning is it where the creditor establishes business, where the debtor resides, or where the lawsuit would be filed?
March 07, 2014
Both the original creditor or its collection agent could file a lawsuit against you in either state. It is most likely, though not a certainty, the action would be in your state of residence. Consult with a lawyer if you receive a notice of a lawsuit.
J. M.
Los Angeles, CA  |  February 19, 2014
I just found out that a collection agency garnish money from my checking account without my knowledge or approval. Can they do that? I asked my bank the name of the collection agency but all the customer service agent gave me is the phone number of the compnay which links to Gordon & Wong Law firm and also my bank company cannot give me the name of the company that withdraw the money (all the agent told me was California and the descriptionof the transaction in my checking account was Legal Order Fee. I did not received any summons from any debt collectors and I have been living in California for almost 25 years.
February 20, 2014
Under California law, you should have received a notice of the lawsuit, and a notice of a pending wage garnishment. A lawyer's failure to follow California's civil procedure rules may be grounds to vacate the judgment and subject the lawyer to discipline by the California Bar.

Consult with a California lawyer immediately to file a motion to vacate the judgment. If you cannot afford a lawyer, contact Law Help CA or another California pro bono program to find no-cost legal services.
Tawny K.
Moreno Valley, CA  |  February 10, 2014
My last pmt on a credit card was November 30, 2007 and it was charged off July 26, 2008 when does the SOL begin? Can I still be sued by them, it seems to be over 4 years.
February 10, 2014
I assume you reside in California. The California statute of limitations clock starts the date you missed your first payment. My guess is a court would find the clock began to run approximately January 1, 2008, and ran out in January 2012.

Both the original creditor or its collection agent can file a lawsuit against you after the statute of limitations clock runs out. If either does so, then file an answer to the complaint with a statute of limitations defense. Do not ignore a notice of a lawsuit. If you are sued, take action by consulting with a lawyer immediately.

Failure to take action will cause you to lose by default, which you do not want to do because you can defeat a time-expired debt with a simple answer to the court.
Jason C.
Fullerton, CA  |  February 06, 2014
I needed a little clarification leaving the state (CCP § 351). I had a credit card debt and I am not exactly sure but I think I made my last payment in September 2007. According to what you wrote above that would mean they had 4 years and 30 days to file a lawsuit. That would mean the latest would be October 31, 2011. I moved to Nevada October 1st so I just want to make sure I understand the concept and this section. I read that it only extend by the amount of time i was gone during that 4 year period. So if I was gone from California for one month that would have given them an extra month to file a lawsuit pushing my date to Nov 30, 2011 to file? Is my assumption correct? At this point it's been 7 years from my last payment and I have been back to CA. I just want to make sure they have gone past the SOL.
February 07, 2014
Under California CP § 351, the statute of limitations clock tolls (pauses) during the time you are outside of the state. As you suggested, the days you were physically in Nevada would be added to the California statute of limitations clock. So, if you were in Nevada (or Oregon, or New York, or anyplace other than California) for a month, an extra month would be tacked onto the statute of limitations clock.
South San Francis, CA  |  March 20, 2014
I received a call today from a collection agency (also a law office, they said) saying they have been trying to deliver a document to me to appear in court because the collection company who has my debt is suing me. I defaulted in 2008. So I just decided to settle my $680.00 to $400.0 and agreed to postdate a payment. Can I still cancel this payment? I was caught off guard. Please advise
March 20, 2014
The answer to you question is unclear given the facts you shared. Is the agreement in writing? Did you authorize a payment? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then you probably did not create a settlement contract with the collection agent.

If you have no contract with the collection agent, then validate the debt. A debt that cannot be validated cannot be collected. Roughly half of all collection accounts cannot be validated.

Consult with a lawyer who has consumer law experience if you signed a contract or authorized a payment.
To H.
Roseville, CA  |  February 06, 2014
I have a collection agency calling me at work and on my cell phone numerous times a day for a dental charges back in 2009. I do not owe these charges and I keep telling them so. Has the stature of limitations ran out?
February 07, 2014
On exactly what date did you become delinquent on your payment? If you reside in California, the statute of limitations clock for medical debt is 4 years. The statute of limitations clock will run for 4 years from the date of delinquency.

If the statute of limitations clock on a debt has run out, then send the collection agent a written cease communications notice.
Lisa N.
Hayward, CA  |  January 30, 2014
I borrowed $1300 from a company called Check N Go back in 2007, and the agreement was to make installments payments until the loan was paid off. But I ended up losing my job and had to move. Bank account was closed due to overdraft fees. Well 2014 I receive a few threating phone calls from 855-778-8151 saying if I didn’t resolve this matter that I will be sued and possibly put in jail. I went on to BBB website to look up this company and they have had several complaints over the past 4 years complaining of fraudulent activities on their credit cards where people have made payments like I have planned to do. My question is, what is the statute of limitation on payday/installment loans. It was done on the internet.
February 06, 2014
The collector is trying to intimidate you into paying. You are not going to go to jail for this kind of debt and it is improper for the collector to threaten you. From what you described, the debt is past the SOL for debt in CA, which is 4 years for a written contract. Don't make any payment.
Waiting for comments to load Loading more comments
Thanks for your feedback!

Tool Box   Easy to use resources to help you find solutions to your money questions