Short Sale on Mobile Home

I can't afford my payments on my mobile home. What can I do?

Read full question
Bill's Answer: Answered by Mark Cappel

Editor’s note: See the resource Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program for an updated discussion of deeds in lieu of foreclosure and short sales.

You are a candidate for either a deed in lieu of foreclosure or a short sale.

The typical requirements for both are

  1. The residence must already be on the market for a certain number of days (90 days is typical)
  2. There can be no liens on the property
  3. The property cannot already be in foreclosure
  4. The offer of a deed in lieu of foreclosure or short sale must be voluntary
  5. The seller must have a hardship
  6. The house must be priced reasonably.

See Should I Do A Short Sale On Our Home? and A Deed In Lieu Of Foreclosure vs. A Short Sale to learn more about these options.


Assuming you stop making your payments on the mobile home and the creditor forecloses, the creditor has the right to sue you to collect on any deficiency balance and receive a judgment to collect this amount from you personally. See Collections Advice for more on the rights of creditors and debtors in collections.

A deficiency balance is an unsecured debt, and is legally like any other unsecured debt such as credit card debt, medical debt, or a payday loan. To see your options for handling unsecured debt, see What are my debt resolution options?.

I hope that the information I provided helps you Find. Learn. Save.



Rate this article
Not helpful

No Comments

Waiting for comments to load Loading more comments
Thanks for your feedback!

What Can I Save?


Tool Box   Easy to use resources to help you find solutions to your money questions