Ask Bill your personal finance question

Bonds and CDs Information

Is it better to sell my bonds and invest in the CDs?

I have been investing in I bonds for over 6 years. The rates are now really low compared to CDs. Is it better to sell the bonds and invest in the CDs?

Read full question
Bill's Answer
(5 Votes) | Find Learn Save

This is basically a question of relative returns on fixed income instruments. Which means, apples-to-apples, you will want to select the instrument that provides the highest return.

To assess what you should do, you will want to figure out if your bonds are trading at 'par' or at a discount. If you will lose principal by selling the bonds, you will want to factor that into the equation.

The other consideration is taxation. If your bonds are muni bonds or tax-exempt, then you will want to be sure to compare after tax returns.

However, since the Federal Reserve raised rates 17 straight times, it may be likely that CDs do offer a better rate of return than your original bonds.

I hope this information helps you Find. Learn & Save.



(5 Votes)

People also like to Read


Find credit card debt info and statistics at -- your one stop resource for saving money.... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

Pay your bills on time with online bill pay from - your one-stop resource for saving money.... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

While some debt relief services help you, others want to scam you. If you properly educate yourself, you can find the...... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

When you are knee-deep in bills, debt consolidation might be the last thing on your mind. However, this financial avenue migh... Read more >>


1500 characters remaining
  • 35x35
    Oct, 2010
    According to a survey conducted by the New York-based College Board, college tuition costs are rising faster than the pace of inflation. Between 1993 and 2003, for example, the average cost of tuition and fees for four years rose 47 percent at public colleges and 42 percent at private institutions. Thus, parents should start saving for college as soon as possible, says Stuart Ritter, a certified financial planner at T. Rowe Price, the Baltimore-based investment management and mutual fund firm. One way to do so, he says, is by taking advantage of state-sponsored 529 college savings plans.
    0 Votes