Ask Bill your personal finance question

Advice if you Received a Subpoena While in Debt Resolution Progr

I have been in a debt resolution program since 2007, I had a lady come to my door trying to subpoena me to court. What do I do?

I have been in a debt resolution program since 2007. I have paid one credit card off. I have one more for $20,000. I had a lady come to my door trying to subpoena me to court. What do I do?

Read full question
Bill's Answer
(4 Votes) | Find Learn Save has relationships with well-respected financial services companies that offer our customers a variety of products, such as mortgage brokerage, debt settlement, and tax negotiation.

If you are enrolled with the Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) debt negotiation program and are a FDR client, you need to contact the company's Legal Accounts Resolution Unit (LARU) as soon as possible so that they can explain the legal process, how it can affect your goals in the FDR program, and what steps FDR can take toward resolving the debt and preventing this legal action from causing you additional problems. You can reach FDR’s Legal Accounts Resolution Unit by calling (800) 993-8950. If you are unable to call, you can e-mail FDR has experience helping clients in similar situations, and will almost certainly be able to work out a plan with your creditor to stop the lawsuit.

If you are not enrolled with FDR, you should contact the customer support staff with your debt resolution provider. They will help you reach your provider's legal department.

Before you call, read through any documents you have received pertaining to this lawsuit, and have the documents available when you call so you can provide the staff with any the information they need to begin working on this account.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this debt, and hope that the information I have provided helps you Find. Learn. Save.



(4 Votes)
Recent Oldest
1500 characters remaining
  • BA
    Sep, 2009
    First, call the bar association in your county and ask for the contact information of the local legal aid organization that helps people with limited income. Second, gather all of the documents you have regarding the debt and the court summons. Third, create a spreadsheet that contains your monthly income and expenses. Make copies of this, and your other important financial documents. Take these to the legal aid attorney and see if he or she will appear with you in court. If not, then be sure to appear in court, and state to the judge what you wrote here.
  • DW
    Sep, 2009
    I have a court date 10/2/09. I cannot afford attorney and would like to know what information I should take to court to present my side. I am being sued for a default on a credit card. I signed up with debt resolution company when due to unexpected financial burdens made it impossible to make even the minimum payments (1/2 my take home pay). I have offered to make payments but the attorney for credit card company wants judgement assigned by court. I know 75% of my wages are exempt. However, I want to know if they can seize my bank account if only my net pay is deposited. If they can do that they in reality would be taking 100% of my wages. I live in California. I do not own any property and my only significant asset is my 401K which has lost money during the economy crisis. Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.