Advice about Son's Judgment on Father's Credit Report

Advice about Son's Judgment on Father's Credit Report

My brother has a judgment against him which was put on my Dad's credit report as they have the same name. How do I fix this?

My father and my brother have the same name. My brother has a credit card that wasn't paid and had a judgment against him. It was put on my Dad's credit report in error. How can he get this taken care of?

Children named after a parent often find their namesake parent’s credit information is reported incorrectly on their credit reports. It is easy to see why this error occurs; not only do these consumers share a very similar name (often with the only difference being a "Sr." or "Jr."), but they often live in close proximity to each other, sometimes even sharing the same address. Judgments can be especially problematic because they do not include the debtor’s Social Security Number in the file information for privacy reasons (judgments are public records, after all).

Thankfully, federal law provides a procedure for consumers to have inaccurate information removed from their credit profile. Your father needs to dispute the judgment appearing on his credit report with each of the three major U.S. credit reporting agencies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

See the Federal Trade Commission document FTC Facts for Consumers: How to Dispute Credit Report Errors for more information.

I encourage consumers to carefully review their credit reports from each of the credit bureaus at least once per year to make sure that all of the information appearing on the reports is accurate. Credit reports are notoriously inaccurate, and close scrutiny is required on your part to make sure that your credit report is current and accurate. To learn more about credit, credit scoring, and credit reports, I encourage you to visit the credit information page.

I wish your father the best of luck in resolving this error, and hope that the information I have provided helps him Find. Learn. Save.




SSam, Apr, 2009
You may want to call your local county recorder's office to inquire about your state's process for removing a illegitimate lien. It is very strange that the recorder's office would record the California judgment; they are only supposed to record Nevada judgments, unless some other agreement exists between the states. If the county recorder's office will not assist you, the next step would be to consult with a lawyer about possibly filing a lawsuit as a collateral attack against the out-of-state judgment creditor for recording a lien illegally. I wish you the best of luck!
HH.J., Apr, 2009
Hello, A Creditor was granted a judgement through Colorado county court against me but I believe it is going to expire soon (within a couple of months). Problem is I found out they recorded an Abstract Lien on my home here in Nevada in 2007 without going through the proper domestication procedures. In addition, I have a Homestead Declaration recorded on my home prior to the Abstract Lien. What route do you recommend I take to get this lien removed? Thank you in advance for your opinion.