Bills Logo

Massachusetts Collection Laws

Get rid of your debt faster with debt relief

Choose your debt amount

See if you qualify

Or speak to a debt consultant  844-731-0836

Mark Cappel
UpdatedJun 11, 2024
  • clock icon
    7 min read
Key Takeaways:
  • The Massachusetts statute of limitations on most debt is 6 years.
  • Massachusetts permits wage garnishment.
  • Bank accounts are not exempt from attachment by judgment creditors.

Will Massachusetts law protect my property and income if the creditor wins a judgment against me?

A collection agent or law firm that owns a collection account is a creditor. A creditor has several legal means of collecting a debt. But before the creditor can start, the creditor must go to court to receive a judgment. See the resource Served Summons and Complaint to learn more about this process.

The court may decide to grant a judgment to the creditor. A judgment is a declaration by a court that the creditor has the legal right to demand a wage garnishment, a levy on the debtor's bank accounts, and a lien on the debtor's property. A creditor that is granted a judgment is called a "judgment-creditor." Which of these tools the creditor will use depends on the circumstances. We discuss each of these remedies below.

Massachusetts Wage Garnishment

The most common method used by judgment-creditors to enforce judgments is wage garnishment, in which a judgment creditor contacts your employer and requires the employer to deduct a certain portion your wages each pay period and send the money to the creditor.

In most states, creditors may garnish between 10% and 25% of your wages, with the percentage allowed determined by state law. Garnishment of Social Security benefits or pensions for consumer debt is not allowed under federal law, but may be allowed for child support. See the Wage Garnishment article to learn more.

Effective April 7, 2011, Massachusetts law exempts from attachment in "an amount not exceeding the greater of 85 percent of the debtor's gross wages or 50 times the greater of the Federal or the Massachusetts hourly minimum wage for each week or portion thereof (Chapter 246 Section 24). As of October 2013, the minimum wage in Massachusetts is $8.00 per hour. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

Massachusetts provides that child-support and spousal-support payments may be obtained from obligor through an income-withholding order, as stated in Massachusetts law, Chapter 119A: Section 12. Child/Spousal Support orders for income-withholding from another state are also enforceable, as stated in Massachusetts law, Chapter 209D: Section 5-501.

In Massachusetts, wage garnishment (income-withholding) is NOT ALLOWED under Chapter 246: Section 20A if the order comes from an out-of-state court. Like other states, Massachusetts requires a judgment be domesticated before it is enforced by a local court.

Levy Bank Accounts

A levy means that the creditor has the right to take whatever money in a debtor's account and apply the funds to the balance of the judgment. Again, the procedure for levying bank accounts, as well as what amount, if any, a debtor can claim as exempt from the levy, is governed by state law. Many states exempt certain amounts and certain types of funds from bank levies, so a debtor should review his or her state's laws to find if a bank account can be levied. Some states call levy attachment or garnishment.

In Massachusetts, a bank account levy is allowed under Chapter 106: Section 4A-502. This subsection applies to creditor process with respect to an authorized account of the sender of a payment order if the creditor process is served on the receiving bank. For the purpose of determining rights with respect to the credit process, if the receiving bank accepts the payment order the balance in the authorized account is deemed to be reduced by the amount of the payment order to the extent the bank did not otherwise receive payment of the order, unless the creditor process is served at a time and in a manner affording the bank a reasonable opportunity to act on it before the bank accepts the payment order.

If you reside in another state, see the Account Levy resource to learn more about the general rules for this remedy.

Massachusetts Lien

A lien is an encumbrance — a claim — on a property. For example, if the debtor owns a home, a creditor with a judgment has the right to place a lien on the home, meaning that if the debtor sells or refinances the home, the debtor will be required to pay the judgment out of the proceeds of the sale or refinance. If the amount of the judgment is more than the amount of equity in your home, then the lien may prevent the debtor from selling or refinancing until the debtor can pay off the judgment.

Under Massachusetts law, Chapter 223: Section 42, all real and personal property liable to be taken on execution, except such personal property as, from its nature or situation, has been considered as exempt according to the principles of the common law as adopted and practiced in the commonwealth, or which is specifically exempt from execution under Chapter 235: Section 34, and except as provided in the four following sections, may be attached upon a writ of attachment in any action in which the debt or damages are recoverable, and may be held as security to satisfy such judgment as the plaintiff may recover; but no attachment of land shall be made on a writ returnable before a district court unless the debt or damages demanded therein exceed $20.

If you reside in another state, see the Liens & How to Resolve Them article to learn more.

Massachusetts Statute of Limitations

Each state has its own statute of limitations. The general statute of limitations for consumer-related debt, including credit cards, in Massachusetts is 6 years.

Credit card6Chapter 260: Section 2
Spoken contract6
Written contract6*
Judgment20 yearsChapter 260: Section 20
* Extends to 20 years when the parties affix a seal to it that renders it "signed under seal."

Massachusetts statutes of limitations. Source:

Under Massachusetts law, a judgment is presumed satisfied after 20 years. The statutory maximum interest rate on an unpaid judgment is 12%.

Collection agents violate the FDCPA if they file a debt collection lawsuit against a consumer after the statute of limitation expired (Kimber v. Federal Financial Corp. 668 F.Supp. 1480 (1987) and Basile v. Blatt, Hasenmiller, Liebsker & Moore LLC, 632 F. Supp. 2d 842, 845 (2009)). Unscrupulous collection agents sue in hopes the consumer will not know this rule.

Massachusetts Foreclosure

Massachusetts foreclosure laws are found in Chapter 244. Foreclosure and Redemption of Mortgages. To learn more about the rules surrounding deficiency balances, please see Chapter 255: Section 13J. Deficiency balances are recoverable by a creditor:

  1. If the unpaid balance of the consumer credit transaction at the time of default was two thousand dollars or more the creditor shall be entitled to recover from the debtor the deficiency, if any, resulting from deducting the fair market value of the collateral from the unpaid balance due and shall also be entitled to any reasonable repossession and storage costs, provided he has complied with all provisions of this section.
  2. In a proceeding for a deficiency the fair market value of the collateral shall be a question for the court to determine. Periodically published trade estimates of the retail value of goods shall, to the extent they are recognized in the particular trade or business, be presumed to be the fair market value of the collateral.

In 2013, the state outlawed a lender starting a foreclosure when a homeowner applies for a loan modification.

Massachusetts Consumer Debt Collection Act

Collection agents must be licensed in Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Consumer Debt Collection Act (MCDCA) covers collection agents and original creditors. Otherwise, the MCDCA mirrors the FDCPA in most respects, with these significant additions:

  • A creditor may not attempt to contact any other member of the debtor's household
  • A creditor may initiate a communication with any debtor via telephone, including live call, text messaging, or recorded message, twice a week at a contact number the debtor has identified as a personal or residential number.
  • A creditor may attempt to contact a debtor at any other number no more than twice a month.
  • A creditor may not call the debtor's workplace if the debtor requests the creditor not do so.
  • A creditor or debt collector may visit the debtor's home once every 30 days during normal waking hours.
  • A creditor may not visit the debtor's workplace unless the debtor requests such a visit.

Violation of these laws is not a criminal matter, but one for a civil court. If you have been victimized by a collection agency, file a complaint with the Massachusetts Commissioner of Banks. Also consult with a lawyer to discuss filing a civil lawsuit against the collection agent. Some lawyers take these cases on a contingency basis, which means no out-of-pocket costs to you. These limits and prohibitions can be found in 209 CMR 18.00. Debt collector regulations begin at 940 CMR 7.00


Consult with a Massachusetts attorney experienced in civil litigation to get precise answers to your questions about liens, levies, and garnishment in Massachusetts.

Struggling with debt?

Mortgages, credit cards, student loans, personal loans, and auto loans are common types of debts. According to the NY Federal Reserve total household debt as of Q1 2024 was $17.69 trillion. Housing debt totaled $12.82 trillion and non-housing debt was $4.88 trillion.

According to data gathered by from a sample of credit reports, about 26% of people in the US have some kind of debt in collections. The median debt in collections is $1,739. Student loans and auto loans are common types of debt. Of people holding student debt, approximately 10% had student loans in collections. The national Auto/Retail debt delinquency rate was 4%.

The amount of debt and debt in collections vary by state. For example, in Nebraska, 18% have any kind of debt in collections and the median debt in collections is $1972. Medical debt is common and 6% have that in collections. The median medical debt in collections is $653.

While many households can comfortably pay off their debt, it is clear that many people are struggling with debt. Make sure that you analyze your situation and find the best debt payoff solutions to match your situation.



RRalph, Aug, 2012
I live in MA and I have been sue by a creditor for $5,200.00. The debt is legal but I got divorce and my finances got upside down facing foreclosure etc, but now I'm in a loan mod trial. I,m permanent disabled person and I receive only Social Security and SSI. Do you know which options I have? Thank you
BBill, Aug, 2012
I can't give you legal advice, as only an attorney can properly do so, but I will share a few thoughts with you.
If you are sued, it is important that you answer the summons and appear in court to make your case. Your income sources should be free from attachment by most creditors, so the worst that can happen should be a judgment against you, that could be enforced through a bank levy or a lien that would affect property that you own.

If your income can't be garnished, you may be in a strong position to negotiate a low dollar settlement. Start by offering a small amount, one that you can actually pay, and don't agree to any settlement without getting something in writing that specifies that your payment will bring the debt to $0 and close the matter. If you can't afford a settlement, but are free from garnishment, then save up money as best you can, in order to settle. If a judgment is obtained against you, make sure you know your state's laws regarding bank levies and don't keep funds that are not protected from levy in your account.
DDoug, Apr, 2012
i got divorced in , i think 2006, and i paid up the atty that took care of my case, yet he was very lousy and i lost custody, my home, etc.. to her mother, forced me into paying for a guardian ad litem ($2800) and meanwhile i lost everything and still trying to put the pieces aback together, anyhow i recieve a letter from trail court after almost 6 years saying he is sueing mr for almost $6000.00 from 6 years ago.. .what can i do, i never got another bill from him after the last court date we had, and he stated he had tried numerous attempts to contact me but i got not phone call, not letters, and i havent moved since the divorce... this jst doesnt seem right, i feel like im getting taken advantage of , wouldn't you send a cert letter or registered letter so you know the person got your demands or at least tried calling me? what can i do?
BBill, Apr, 2012
Negotiate a settlement for the past-due bill. Note "settlement" does not mean "pay the entire amount demanded." See the article Debt Negotiation & Settlement to learn more.
GGabriel, Apr, 2012
I moved to MA a year and a half ago from WI, and my wife will be moving out this June. The housing crash sunk us and if we can't short-sell, we'll likely have our WI house foreclosed. In WI, wages cannot be garnished for foreclosure. Can the loan company garnish our wages if we are currently living in MA?
BBill, Apr, 2012
These types of questions are more complicated than they appear. If the creditor files an action to recover a deficiency balance from a Wisconsin resident for a Wisconsin property and contract signed in Wisconsin, everyone would agree a Wisconsin court has jurisdiction, and Wisconsin laws apply. You are a Massachusetts resident. Does the Wisconsin court have subject matter jurisdiction for an action filed by the creditor? Probably, yes, because the property was situated in the state, and you probably signed the loan contract in Wisconsin. However, does the Wisconsin court have personal jurisdiction over you? This is a gray area, but my guess is no, because you are no longer present nor a resident in the Badger state. However, there are many situations arising from contracts where the now-non-resident must return to their former state to stand trial in civil court. Where the trial occurs is an open question.

Let us say for the sake of argument you are sued in Wisconsin, lose the case, and the creditor is awarded a judgment. As a Massachusetts resident, the judgment-creditor may not enforce that judgment in Wisconsin, but instead must take the judgment to a Massachusetts court and ask it to domesticate the judgment. This is granted as a matter of course. Alternatively, the creditor may file a lawsuit against you in Massachusetts for the Wisconsin deficiency balance. Let's assume the court hears the case, and rules in favor of the creditor. The court will then grant the creditor a judgment.

Which brings us to your question about garnishment in Massachusetts. See the original answer above to learn more about the remedies allowed in this state.
DDarren, Jan, 2012
My mother is looking to get a line of credit on her fully paid off home. I she for some reason can't pay the loan can the bank foreclose on her home?
BBill, Jan, 2012
If you mother pledges her home as security and defaults, then the lender will have the option of foreclosing on the property. In general, secured loans, such as mortgage loans, are cheaper than unsecured loans.
SSamantha, Oct, 2011
i am a student and i have racked up about 8,000 in student loans so far the loan comes from my my question is if i dont pay these loans back when its time can my wages be garnished?
BBill, Oct, 2011
If the student loans are federal, then the Dept. of Education can garnish your wages administratively. If the student loans are private, then the lender must use your state's court system and laws to collect the debt. To the extent that wage garnishment is allowed in your state for judgments, the lender can use that remedy and others.