Bills Logo

Investment Adviser

Mark Cappel
UpdatedJun 4, 2010
Key Takeaways:
  • Find an attorney to review the will and trust.
  • Find an investment adviser to help you manage your money.
  • Beware of investment adviers guaranting financial returns.

I just inherited a large sum of money. Now what?

I just have a question because I am new to the money world and don't know what to do. I am inheriting several millions dollars from my great aunt. Of course I want to bring so much of it into the states to but a few things but I also wondered about an offshore account of some type. With what Obama is doing, what can I do to be legal, I want to do the right thing. So much of it will be set up for trusts, but I will be getting the most of it. This is an answer to pray, I have never had this much ever in my life and don't know what to do with it all. It is all of a legal nature with certificates to prove it. Please help.

You need help from two separate and distinct professionals.

First, you need to find an attorney who is experienced in wills and trusts. Interview at least three, and select one who either has experience in moving the certificates that you described somewhat vaguely into the US according to US law, or works at a law firm that counsels international clients.

Second, you need an investment adviser. Again, interview several. All will be slick, warm, and personable. You want one that seems in tune with your goals. Beware one that listens only for a moment and then launches into a sales pitch selling you on financial instruments that you do not understand. Beware guaranteed results -- there is no such thing and if you have any doubts just ask the people who gave Bernard Madoff their life savings.

I hope this information helps you Find. Learn & Save.