Account Lost By Bank Years Ago | Find Learn Save

I had a bank account with Midland Bank which was taken over by HSBC. Now there is no record of my account. What can I do?

I had a bank account with Midland Bank. When it was taken over by HSBC there was no record of my account. Is there anything I can do about this today?

Start your FREE debt assessment
Choose your debt amount

Considering the amount of time that has passed (sixteen years) since HSBC acquired Midland, I think it unlikely that you will make much progress in trying to obtain compensation for the money you had in your former Midland account. If you have records showing your deposits, balances, etc., proving that you had money in your account with Midland prior to the bankÂ’s being purchased by HSBC, you may be able to convince HSBC to honor its debt to you. However, given the fact that HSBC has no record of the account in question, and considering the amount of time that has passed, I think it more likely that they will simply tell you that there is nothing they can do to assist you.

From a legal standpoint, I think it likely that any claim you had against HSBC is well past its statute of limitations, and therefore you may not be able to pursue the matter in court. That said, if you feel the amount in controversy justifies doing so, you may wish to consult with a qualified solicitor to discuss your case and to determine exactly what legal recourse, if any, is available to you.

In addition to consulting with a solicitor, you may wish to file a complaint with the Financial Services Authority, which regulates major banking institutions in the U.K. Their website offers a wealth of information for consumers in the U.K., including a guide to filing a complaint against a bank or other financial service provider. Hopefully, the FSA can tell you specifically what rights you have in this situation given the amount of time that has elapsed since your account went missing.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this situation, and hope that the information I have provided helps you Find. Learn. Save.



1500 characters remaining
  • J
    Keller, VA,
    May, 2011
    i want to know how can i get my full details of my account and how can i transfer my money from my account to someone in another state