Tips for Safe Driving
Avoiding accidents not only keeps you and your passengers safe, but is also one of the best ways to prevent your auto insurance premium from rising. Follow these defensive driving tips to stay accident free.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and avoid getting distracted by cell phones, radios, talking, and day dreaming. Look ahead and keep your eyes moving to periodically check the area and vehicles around you. Accidents can happen at any moment, so expect the unexpected and stay alert.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front. The DMV recommends maintaining a 3 seconds gap. If road conditions are wet or icy, increase your driving distance.
- Always allow room for maneuvering. In the event another car loses control, you'll want to have a safe area to move to and avoid an accident.
- Do not drive in another vehicle's blind spot.
- Allow a tailgater to pass you by moving to another lane or pulling safely to the side of the road.
- Always fasten your seatbelt.
- Do not drive while intoxicated or sleepy.
- Check for traffic at stop lights and stop signs and move into the intersection once you are certain other vehicles have stopped or yielded the right of way to you.
- Stretch and take a break every 2 hours when driving over long distances.
- Obey the speed limit and avoid speeding to save time.
- Use your turn signals to alert other drivers.
- Use your headlights during rainy, cloudy, or foggy conditions.