Ask Bill your personal finance question

Cancelled Debt is Taxable

If I consolidate the amount of a debt I owe, will I be issued a 1099 that I file with my tax return?

If I diminish the bills that I owe, will I be issued a 1099 that I must use when filing my tax return?

Read full question
Bill's Answer
(7 Votes) | Find Learn Save

If you have reached a settlement agreement with a creditor to repay a debt for less than the balance due, the Internal Revenue Service calls this "canceled" debt.

Under federal tax law, forgiven or is considered income for tax purposes. Accordingly, a creditor is required to submit a 1099C to the IRS for any debt forgiveness exceeding $600 in value. Therefore, a consumer would be wise to consult with a certified tax preparer, CPA, or tax attorney with respect to the implications of being taxed on the forgiven debt. 

Generally speaking, many creditors do not issue 1099Cs, and as a result consumers do not pay additional taxes on the forgiven debt. Many consumers who do receive 1099Cs do not see a significant tax penalty because of their severe financial hardships.  

Taxpayers that meet the IRS financial hardship test on the  will not have to declare the forgiven debt as income, even if they receive a 1099C for edebt forgiveness.

I hope this information helps you Find. Learn. Save.



(7 Votes)

People also like to Read

Daniel Cohen

Is the federal income tax legal? Do I have to pay taxes? Review the frivolous tax arguments that are made and understand why ... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

Common IRS Scams | Taxpayers are advised to be on their guard for scammers who impersonate the IRS to steal financial informa... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

Tax Tips for Military Families | Save money by claiming the tax deductions that are specially designed for military families.... Read more >>

Daniel Cohen

Tax Tips When You Sell Your Home | Selling your home can cause serious tax consequences. Make sure that you know the right st... Read more >>


1500 characters remaining