Arizona Mortgage Rates
Comparing Arizona Mortgage Rates with National Rates
In order to help you see how Arizona mortgage rates compare with National rates, check out the following rate table from the industry website mortgagenewsdaily.com. These rates represent national averages and are based on specific loan assumptions.
Shopping for Best Mortgage Rates in Arizona
It is important to shop around for the best terms. Make sure that you compare rates, lender fees and learn about third party fees. When comparing mortgage offers check out the term (length), interest rate (fixed vs. variable), and if applicable the cost of mortgage insurance. Get more information about mortgage rates and mortgage fees. Also, FHA loans, which always require mortgage insurance, differ from conventional loans, which require Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if your loan to value ratio (LTV) is over 80%. Make sure that you use all of your costs when comparing loans.
Qualifying for a Mortgage in Arizona
In order to qualify for the best mortgage rates in Arizona it is important to have an excellent credit score. Also, you want to make sure that your debt to income ratio (DTI) and your downpayment or equity position , your loan to value ratio (LTV) are sufficient to qualify. Read this Bills.com article about qualifying for a mortgage.
Mortgage Resources for Arizona
Arizona is the fourteenth most populous US state. According to the US census, as of 2017, there is an estimated population of over 6.9 million residents, which represents 2.1% of the US population. Based on 2015 HMDA data, Arizona compared to National loan program distribution, has a higher percentage of both FHA loans (35% vs 25%) and VA loans (13% vs 10%).
Here are some outside resources that can help you understand the Arizona mortgage environment:
- FHA loan amounts in Arizona: (note:set the table to Arizona). There are 15 counties in the state of Arizona of which none of the single family units meet the Highest loan limit, currently at $636,150. 80% of the counties are at the Standard loan limit, currently at $275,665. The remaining 20% are between those two limits.
- FHFA Conventional Loan Amounts: Check the pdf from FHFA for all states and search for Arizona and your county or check out the FHFA conforming limit map. Since the FHFA has higher base limits than the FHA, currently at $424,100, there are 100% of the counties that fit this category.
- The Arizona housing market was hard hit during the 2008 Great Recession. However, many homeowners were able to take advantage of low interest rates and refinance into HARP loans. Based on the FHFA Refinance Report for May 2017, Arizona accounted for 4.8% of all HARP loans (ranked seventh in the nation). Over 26% of all Arizona HARP loans had LTVs (Loan to Value ratios) over 125%.
- Arizona First Home Buyer Programs: The Arizona Department of Housing (ADOH) administers programs for Housing including home mortgage and down payment assistance. The HOME Plus Home Loan Program “provides an attractive 30-year fixed-rate mortgage with a down payment assistance (DPA) grant ranging from 0% - 5% depending upon the underlying mortgage type. The DPA assistance is a true grant, with no repayment terms or conditions”. Check out their Home Plus page for product highlights. Credit score requirements vary are are between 640-660. The amount of equity required also varies by mortgage type and ranges from 3.5% on a FHA type loan, 3% on a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac program, or 100% on a USDA loan. A different program is The Pathway to Purchase Down Payment Assistance Program which offers a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage together with a down payment assistance second mortgage up to 10% of the purchase price and a maximum of $20,000. The down payment assistance is not available in all areas of the state, rather is offered in 17 specifically targeted Arizona Cities.
- Check out the Hud’s website for more information about homeowner programs and homeowner education programs.
Mortgage Trends and Statistics for Arizona
Mortgage rates, loan amounts, LTV, (etc) vary based on areas. The FHFA provides a useful insight into differences in conventional loans. based on Metropolitan Areas.
Source of Data: FHFA Historical Table - (TERMS ON CONVENTIONAL HOME MORTGAGES) Table V - Averages for Major Metropolitan Areas: Loans Closed
Check out some differences in One MSA area in Arizona:
- Mortgage Rates for Conventional Loans in One MSA in Arizona
- Mortgage Fees in One MSA in Arizona
- Loan Amount in Arizona for One MSA
- LTV over 90% in One MSA in Arizona
Mortgage Rates for Conventional Loans in One MSA in Arizona
Mortgage Fees in One MSA in Arizona
Loan Amount in Arizona for One MSA
LTV over 90% in One MSA in Arizona for One MSA
Get up to 5 competing mortgage quotes